Monday, January 12, 2009

Living in the Moment

Crystal Mountain ~ Thompsonville, Michigan
This past Saturday Brian and I headed north, up to Thompsonville, for a refreshing day of skiing. It is about a two hour drive for us that takes you on old M-37 through Baldwin. The drive itself has some beautiful views with calm, quiet roads and besides you are headed north (what better direction); totally worth it!

My resort of choice has always been Crystal Mountain. Back in school, three of my good friends and I would find ourselves up at Crystal Mountain every winter. However, six years ago, I found myself at the recieving end of a bad car accident. Since then my body has still (yes STILL) been healing. Skiing was something that had been taken away from me and I was longing to again regain control; to try and get some of what I had missed, back. It had been my hobby, my sport.

And did it feel great! Brian had never been skiing before and it was fun to be able to share and teach something with him that I loved so much. The weather was gorgeous; the sun peaked out about three hours before dusk, which made for the most beautiful sunset! The views atop the chair lift were breathtaking. The moon illuminated the trails and woods and the stars shown bright. Brian and I had the day all to ourselves. No cellphones, emails, work or distractions. The mountain felt like ours. We laughed, we joked, we shared stories; things that were long past due with how crazy our lives have been. It felt great to be out together in the winter air, enjoying the season and the beauty of nature.

I only brought along my pocket point and shoot which froze within a few hours of being out in the cold air. :( I was very disappointed to have not had my Nikon to capture our day; but I had to be practical. I did snag this shot before heading out on the mountain.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, you're making me want to go to Crystal! :) We go snowboarding at Caberfae on weekends with our friends, but it would be SO nice just the two of us...

Glad you're healing and able to ski again, and to teach your hubby, how cool! Glad you had such a great time :)